Hop on the Shuttle and join me in Adventures in weaving!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Iridescence workshop with Bobbie Irwin

On April 12th, 13th and 14th, the Palomar Handweavers Guild www.palomarhandweavers.org  put on a wonderful  workshop called “The Magic of Iridescence”  taught by Bobbie Irwin from Colorado. The Antique Gas and Steam engine Museum hosted our event. All of the participants received a warp of 3 or more colors in 3 inch sections as well as 24  additional colors  for our wefts.

weaving adventures 005

  Bobbie brought a boat load of samples to illustrate how crossing particular threads in a particular order causes an iridescences. It gives the fabric the illusion of the colors shifting.

weaving adventures 006

She gave us a basic class on the theory of color and how that translates to weaving colored yarn.

weaving adventures 009

We had a blast! The people that are in the Palomar Handweavers Guild as well as the San Diego Creative Weavers Guild  are some of the nicest people I have met. Kindred spirits. Here is some pictures I took at the workshop: 

weaving adventures 011

On the second day, Bobbie taught us weave structure and how it relates to iridescence. Here, she was showing us how to warp using 2 color pairs so that they don’t twist and enables you to use only one shuttle.

weaving adventures 012

Here are some of the girls I had the pleasure to share the workshop with.

weaving adventures 013

weaving adventures 014 weaving adventures 015 weaving adventures 016

Good Times!

I will post some pictures of the gamp I wove in a few days.

 

Ok so here is the gamp we did in the work shop. My warp colors are yellow green, green, blue green.

adventures in weaving 033

We used all the colors on the card as our weft.

adventures in weaving 031

I bunched the gamp up so you can see the iridescence effect the different colors created.

adventures in weaving 028

I really enjoyed the workshop and the colors inspire me.

1 comment: