Hop on the Shuttle and join me in Adventures in weaving!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Weaving Hero’s

My all time favorite weaving hero is Laura Fry. She has no idea that since last July she has taught me to weave. I go to her website http://laurafry.com/index.html which you can view educational video’s (i personally use as my tutor), see techniques and answers to just about any weaving question. As an example of how useful her website is to my weaving, today I made 3 guest towels.  I beamed it on my sectional warping beam, dressed my loom, and weaved, (wove, whatever you call it) in 6 hours. The towels are 18 inches wide and 34 inches long including hems, 2  inches on each end. I used Laura’s technique of throwing a shuttle http://laurasloom.blogspot.com/search/label/shuttle%20throwing. This also included a overshot band on one end of each towel. I will post pictures after I wet finished using Laura’s book “Magic in the water”.

I love her personality on her website, and her down to earth nature. I have emailed her a couple of times to ask a question and without hesitation she answered me with a detailed answer. Thank you Laura Fry for the education you continue to give us all and the inspiration you have given me.

Next, Sue Butler. As many of the weavers know, that belong to the Yahoo weaving group, Sue Butler has helped many of us out of a jam. She is so giving and a great teacher. My first encounter with her was back several months ago when I want to learn how to do a huck lace version of a dogwood flower. I had the hardest time trying to figure it out. Sue took the time to explain how to read the draft (profile) what sett to use and how to treadle the pattern.

I took a printed out copy of her email to the loom and I was able to follow her instructions and was successful with this new weaving structure. So Sue taught me to read a profile draft, how to weave, thread, and treadle a block weave structure. This has become very valuable to me. Sue opened a door to a more creative weaving experience. This is Sue’s website www.subudesigns.com. Thanks Sue for taking the time to educate us all through your book

UNDERSTANDING RAYON CHENILLE

 

 

 

 

and the yahoo weaving group.

Next, Tien Chiu,

Here is her blog.

http://www.tienchiu.com/category/blog-posts/

Check out her Wedding jacket and Wedding dress. AMAZING!

She is an inspiration to me. her work is lovely and challenging.

She helps me challenge myself. Along with Laura and Sue, Tien shares her knowledge with follow weavers. I can’t tell you how many times I go to the weaving group with a question about an idea and Tien writes me back with detailed and easy to understand directions to help me  reach my goal.

These 3 ladies win the first ever electronic golden loom award. They won’t get fame and fortune from this award but I can offer my heart felt Thank you to them.

 

Kathleen Waln,

I took a Woven Shibori workshop from Kathleen. She was such a GREAT teacher! We had such a great time learning. Kathleen did not hold anything back. Every minute of  her workshop was  filled with learning. I had no idea we where going to learn so much. I loved learning about Traditional Shibori as well as Woven Shibori, but what really inspired me was learning how to dye. This has inspired me in ways I can’t even explain. Kathleen is a gifted teacher and made learning several techniques so interesting and fun.  I think that I have only woven one thing with fiber that was factory dyed since her workshop. I primarily use 10/2 white Tencel and create my own colors from what I learned from Kathleen. Thank you Kathleen for your teachings and inspiration.

This is Kathleen’s blog: http://weaverkat.blogspot.com

Thank you Laura Fry, Sue Butler,  Tien Chiu, and Kathleen Waln.

No comments:

Post a Comment