Hop on the Shuttle and join me in Adventures in weaving!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

DA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I finally finished the throw!!! It is 43 x 78.

I made it with 3/2 cotton warp and weft. 16epi 16 ppi. I got the yarn from Yarn Barn.

I started out using a long shuttle from LeClerc  but it was way to light to get it all the way across the warp. I would throw the shuttle and it would launch right thru the middle of the warp over the cat and land with a crash on the ground. After a few times it really started to piss me off so I decided to use something else. Back about 6 months ago I saw these “Vintage” aka really old and sorta broken down shuttles on ebay. They where fly shuttles, 2 of them each with a wooden bobbin. When I received them they didn’t look as good as the picture but they where “Vintage”. Anyway, I had to repair them because the wood was broken on the side and would catch the yarn if I was to throw it. After sanding and filling in the wood, I tried it and it worked really good. There is a knack to using this sort of shuttle without causing damage to your poor little hand, as the point, and I do mean point, is a metal point which hurts when it hits your hand. I got real good at avoiding the point and learned to really like this “Vintage” shuttle.   Well here is the Throw!

Marys blanket 004 

Here is a more up close picture!

Marys blanket 009

One more!

Marys blanket 007

Im not sure what I am going to next. I have a couple of things on my list.

1. I was thinking about making some rugs out of bailing twine. Depending how big the bail is and what kind of hay it is determines what color the twine is. I have blue, yellow, orange, yellow, and black.

2. Saddle blankets. Im looking for a good structure and pattern for that, if you have one you want to share I would love it!

3. I have some ideas for some Spring color scarf's.

Once I figure out what I am going to do I will post it! Thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on the blanket. I think Theresa at Camp Runamuck has woven some saddle blankets if you want to search her blog or get in touch with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, your work is beautiful! Can't wait to see what you do next!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete