Hop on the Shuttle and join me in Adventures in weaving!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Double weave






I received my Handwoven magazine and Low and behold it was all about double weave.
I felt like they knew I was going to try double weave hehehehe!


I had finished my sample and was ready for "The real thing". I picked a cute little scarf in the book. The scarf has two arms if you will and then comes down to a point in the back. I used some stash yarn.
3/2 Perle cotton. I used a 10 dent reed at 20epi. So here goes, I wove (is that a word wove, weaved... you know what I mean) the first 28 inches then it was time to do the point in the back. In order to do this you have to snip a thread from the top and one from the bottom layer. The warp becomes the weft.




Next, you take the bottom thread and lift the harness for the top and weave the bottom yarn through the top, Then you repeat lifting the bottom harness then using the top thread and weave it into the bottom.
Here's what it looked like when I was down to the last of the pairs. This was so easy to weave and it took about 1 hour 45 mins. Of course the fringe twisting took a million years but I finally finished it. The picture I took of the finished scarf was to dark so I need to take another and post it later. SO, I am now no longer afraid of double weave!








Here is what it looks like finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment