Hop on the Shuttle and join me in Adventures in weaving!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Tools I made myself

Weaving takes several tool that are very costly so I decided to see if I could make them myself with recycled wood and stuff my Dad had in the garage. This is a tension box that cost $125.00tension box

Here is the one I made from birch for about $16.00

To buy an extension that you see on the one I made cost an additional $58.00

adventures in weaving 049 

 

This is called a warping mill which sells for $580.00warpm7p

Here is the one I made from recycled Oak. I repurposed a entertainment center and had left over wood. It only cost me time!

DSC00364 DSC00390

This is a warping Board it can cost from $41.00 to as much as

$110.00

 

CADR_OURD_np

Here is the one I made from an old 2x4 and 1inch dowel

adventures in weaving 030

One of the problems that weavers have is beaming on a warp especially if it is a lot of yardage. The problem starts with not being able to keep control of warp while winding the back beam. The next problem is having consistent tension while beaming on.Being inspired by the tension box I came up with this Idea.tension device 001

I made this tension device out of wooden shelf brackets ($8.50 each) and 1 inch dowels.tension device 002

I can change the tension by simply changing the configuration of the dowels.

And one last tool, Bobbin Rack used for sectional warping. $185.00

bobbinrack

Leftovers:

adventures in weaving 052

 

adventures in weaving 053

I have also made Temples, angel wings, and a fringe twister.

1 comment: