Hop on the Shuttle and join me in Adventures in weaving!

Monday, July 26, 2010

First projects on the New to me AVL.

Im sorry it has taken me so long to post but I have been having some issues with my leg. I recently had to have a wound vac and then I became allergic to the band aide  so we couldn’t use that. Than last week they did a skin graft on me. I hope this works. I will get another graft in 2 weeks.Ok enough of that!

So any way, I put a couple of warps on to practice on the AVL. I needed to adjust the tension and the auto advance cloth arm. I don’t know how many of you have AVL’s but my arms are raw from the sandpaper beam. I finally got smart and covered it, but looking on the bright side, I won’t have to exfoliate my forearm and elbows for awhile hahahahaha! Also, It is quite a workout lifting all those shafts. I found my rhythm though and I zoned out listening to the music me and my loom was making. Also again, I have given my AVL a name, as I name everything. I decided on Louie. I was searching for a girl name but Louie just seems right. So from this day forward I will address my AVL as LOUIE.

Here is the first project. It is a lace heart scarf. I got the draft from www.Handweaving.net . I wanted to use all of Louie’s 16 shaft so I thought this would be a good little start.

weavingwithlouie 011

I made it with Walmart #10 cotton. I knew I was going to have tension issues as well as adjusting that arm so I didn’t want to use my 10/2 tencel.

Here is a close up

weavingwithlouie 010 

Not perfect, but at least I got most the bugs out.

Here is the next project. I used 10/2 tencel and 10/2 perle cotton

weavingwithlouie 012

You can see I was still not comfortable with the tension. It got better as I went. I ended up with a nice scarf. Next, wet finish  and then I will post pictures.

Today, I counted out 6000, yards of tencel to dye for my next projects on Louie. I dyed some of it in the indigo crystal batch I had from a couple of weeks ago and the rest I dyed fire red. Im going to do a crackle and network draft from the indigo and white. With the Fire Red, a cute draft of square outlines all bunched together.

I still have not found just the right draft for the Ikat I dyed a couple of weeks ago, but I will persevere. 

Well that is it for now, I want to thank all of you who come to visit. I enjoy seeing where you come from. I would love to hear from you if you would like to say hi or give me some comments on some of these projects I do. The counter I use tells me what state, city, and country you come from and if you have visited before. It is so fun to see that little ol me has a visitor from the Netherlands or Israel or some other wonderful country. I have lots of visitors from Canada, I was so lucky to have visited this beautiful country.   Just today I had visitors from Norway, Canada, Netherlands, Redondo Beach CA, and San Diego CA  just to mention a few. Wow, weavers are everywhere! I look forward to hearing from you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people who do the drive by reading and never comment. Shame on me, I know. Just thought I'd say hi, and I enjoy reading your blog :)

    Hi to Louie too. I think I'm going to purchase a 16 shaft soon, though I'm planning on getting a Weavebird. The most I've used so far is 8 shafts and the thought of threading 16 is a little scary. Did you find it a big adjustment to move to 16 or did you already use 16 before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Restless Knitter, Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I was looking at the Weavebird as well. If I had the money I would have ran as fast as I could and bought one, but alas Louie presented himself and I am very happy. Adjusting to 16 shafts... well,I can tell you from a 8 shaft Loomcraft to a 16 Shaft AVL full frame production loom... the footprint increased Significantly. At first I thought OMG what have I gotton myself into. My Daughter said "Mom!, really!, you need a 60" wide loom to weave a 10" scarf". Hehehehehehe, I said "why yes I do". Once I got started warpping it really was not overwhelming at all. You just need to make sure you have a technique you use to help keep track of your threading. I break my into 4 threads at a time. Then, once I finish threading 16 threads or so, I make a quick check and tie the bundle together. This works for me, I find that I rarely have threading errors. I feel if I take the time to thread and check, it really pays off in the long run. I have only been weaving for 1 year as of July 17th, so Im sure I will learn many new tricks as time goes by.
    I went to your blog to read some of your post and I can see we have a lot in common. How funny you were to tell the AVL Lady about your wishes for a weavebird. I just cracked up. I so would have done something like that hehehehehe. Thanks for stopping by. Victoria

    ReplyDelete