Hop on the Shuttle and join me in Adventures in weaving!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Time to Dye the Shibori Scarf's, This could be really cool or really ugly!

The Idea I had for the Zebra Shibori scarf was to take pictures of Nemo and then use sections of his stripes in a sort of picture  frame. So I took the pictures and made the stencils. Then I wanted to paint the scarf with dye using the colors of the Kenya (that is where Nemo is from) sky at sunset.

Theses are the pictures I found:

97913377fREWJO_fs

And here is the other one:

IMG_2679

I used wax in a sort of Batik method to keep the White-White and to frame the stripes. I just put the dye on, it hasn’t been rinsed yet.

Art show 006

Up a little closer

 

Art show 010

The next step, I will gather the shibori threads and then I am going to use a thicken bleach discharge (which I have never done before). After all that is done I am going to dye the black stripes. This is sooooooo Hard to do. The problem I have ran into (yes I have done this same thing 3 other times ugh!) is the black dye takes about 200 hundred years to rinse out and it runs like you would not believe. I have made a widget that I will put in the bathtub to lay the scarf on to keep it flat so it wont run.   But, just to be on the safe side…I am going to apply wax around the box to keep the black away from the yellow and pink. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. Im running out of time for the Art Show. This is my last chance to get this right.

Here is Nemo one more time…

weaving adventures 005  

if you look real close to the scarf, you can see the out line of Nemo’s eye, it is up side-down looking at it here… turn your head a little and I think you can see it. Here , I will turn it a little bit… that better?

weaving adventures 012 Nemo's little eye

Where you see white ,I will be dyeing it black. The darker color you see in the picture is the wax.

The next scarf is a Giraffe motif. No I don’t know any Giraffe’s… just a Zebra hehehehehehe!

Art show 001 

I made this stencil to put at each end but I’ve decided not to use it. Im going to make a little group of Giraffe’s.

Art show 003

Here is the stencil I made of the pattern on a Giraffe.

Here is what it looks like right after I paint the dye on

Art show 005

Im going to do the same discharge method as the Zebra, except I might try just randomly applying the discharge to the shibori pleats and see how it turns out. But maybe not… it is very scary!  Well that's it for now. Tomorrow I will do the next step! See you tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment